Life Support Technician (full-time)
The Life Support Technician shall be responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of all aquatic animal Life Support Systems (LSS) that support Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park. This position will be responsible for monitoring all phases of facility exhibit water treatment processing as well as equipment condition and making necessary changes or repairs as needed. This position will also be responsible for all water quality lab testing. This position will frequently interface with other Zoological Operations & Engineering staff including veterinarians and animal biologists regarding water chemistry parameters, LSS process equipment adjustments and needed repairs. This position will work closely with senior LSS staff to perform the functions listed above and to provide daily updates on processes, equipment status and needed repairs to the LSS Supervisor.
1. Monitor LSS equipment and processes for normal operation, make changes as needed.
2. Assist senior LSS staff in performing preventative and corrective maintenance as needed to keep LSS equipment in excellent working condition and appearance.
3. Perform daily water quality tests for the park and exhibits. Work with senior LSS staff to understand and interpret water chemistry reports and results, and carry out corrections as recommended. Perform equipment and water quality adjustments as needed.
4. Troubleshoot and repair pumps, filters, valves, actuators, PVC pipe, controllers, ozone and chlorine disinfection systems.
5. Provide support to other departments as needed including husbandry and dive operations.
6. Recommend and maintain the stock of required spare parts, tools, and test instruments.
7. Maintain LSS system logs and records.
8. Interface effectively with other departments to maintain the highest quality standards.
9. Follow and maintain all safety policies and procedures.
10. Maintain the highest standard of work area cleanliness at all times.
11. To perform other duties as workload necessitates.
1. Preferred but not required to have a minimum of two years of experience working with aquatic animal life support systems or similar industrial processing plant work experience.
2. Must have the ability or the ability to learn to repair LSS or similar industrial mechanical plant equipment including ozone generators, centrifugal pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors, automated control systems, and all types of filtration systems including sand filters and protein skimmers.
3. Must be proficient in use of proper test equipment, hand & power tools, and shop equipment.
4. Must have basic electrical knowledge with circuits.
5. Must have experience pipe fitting utilizing PVC, copper and tubing.
6. Must have basic knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word.
7. Must have the physical ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
8. Must have the physical ability to work in difficult areas and perform required duties as assigned, which include standing for long periods of time, working in all types of weather conditions, kneeling, bending, lifting and squatting down.
9. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Application, cover letter, and resume can be mailed to:
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park
1010 Miracle Strip Parkway SE
Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548